These tacos are an easy, meat-free meal any night of the week. Vegan and non-vegans will be pleasantly surprised with this BBQ shredded tofu recipe that is packed full of flavor.
For the BBQ shredded tofu:
350g firm tofu
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp soy or tamari sauce
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
¼ cup good quality, vegan BBQ sauce
¼ cup water
*optional 1 tsp chilli powder
For the tacos:
12 small wheat or corn tortillas
2 cups shredded white cabbage
2 cups finely shredded cos or iceberg lettuce
1 large tomato (or 100g cherry tomatoes), finely diced
½ small red onion, finely diced
2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
For the avocado cream:
1 large ripe avocado
1/4 cup plain coconut or plant-based yoghurt
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp of pickle jalepenos
Optional: 1 tbsp coriander
Freshly ground pepper
Extra yoghurt to serve
Extra lime to serve
To make the BBQ shredded tofu:
· Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
· Line a baking tray with baking paper
· Using the largest hole size on a box grater, grate the tofu. Pat dry with paper towel
· In a bowl, add the oil, soy/ tamari sauce, paprika and garlic and onion powder and stir together. Add the tofu and toss until fully coated. Lay the tofu on the baking tray and bake for around 30 minutes or until it’s golden, turning half way through.
· Heat the BBQ sauce and water in a fry pan and add the tofu, tossing around until you have a soft and saucy mixture. Set aside.
To make the tacos:
· For the salad: In a bowl, add the cabbage, lettuce, tomato, onion and coriander
· For the dressing: In a small bowl or jar with a lid, add the vinegar, oil, mustard and season with salt and pepper. Mix together well.
· Optional: toast the tacos over the flame of your stove for a few seconds each side OR on a hot dry pan to make them warm and pliable
To make the avocado cream:
Place all ingredients into a food processor with a generous pinch of salt and blend until smooth.
Transfer into a bowl to serve.
Construct the tacos by laying down a tortilla, then along the middle, add some BBQ shredded tofu, a little salad, then a drizzle of the avocado cream, a dollop of yoghurt and a spritz of lime. Fold in half and ENJOY!