Serves: makes 5 to 6 burgers
For the burger patties
- about 17-18 ounces/500 grams minced turkey meat
- breadcrumbs (I used 1 slice of wholemeal bread whizzed up in a mini food processor)
- zest of 1 lemon
- small bunch of scallions/spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon each salt & pepper
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- bacon rashers (1 for each burger)
- 1 thick slice of gruyère cheese for each burger (or tasty cheese of your choice)
- wholemeal burger buns (or buns of your choice)
- sliced tomato,
- lettuce/green salad leaves
- fat free mayonnaise
- Combine all of the burger ingredients well (either with your hands or with a wooden spoon) except the bacon, then cover and chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Shape the burgers into patties (about 1 inch thick), then wrap a rasher of bacon around each.
- Heat up a skillet/frying pan or grill pan (medium heat), then fry the patties for 5 or 6 minutes on each side (or until cooked through - check by slicing part of the way into one burger).
- Place a slice of the cheese on top of each patty, then place under the grill (UK)/broil (US) until melted.
- Lightly toast your burger buns in the toaster, then assemble your burgers. Start with a good squirt of mayonnaise on the bottom half of the buns followed by tomato, green leaves and finally your burger patty with the melted cheese on it. Top with the other half of the buns and enjoy!